Friday, June 10, 2011

Corn off the Cob


Ok, there are 2 things that I associate with summer no matter where I live; Jersey corn and Jersey tomatoes. Yes, I know I live in Virginia and I frequent the local farm stand because I believe in being a 'locavore' (read "Animal , Vegetable, Miracle" by Barbara Kingsolver) and I even grow my own tomatoes. Maybe it is the nostalgia but in my mind, they just somehow taste better than any other corn or tomato!

As you well know, we are only in the beginnings of summer and already we have had some scorchingly high temperatures. I don't know about your family but as soon as the air conditioning comes on, everyone asks me to make potato salad, pasta salad or buy some corn-on-the-cob. For being early in the season, I have to say, the corn we had was pretty good but I was left with a few extras that no one was interested in reheating. Normally I would make corn-tomato salad but sadly, it is a little early for some really good, worthwhile tomatoes (I'll post the recipe later in the summer!)

Since it was one of those unbelievably hot days, I was looking for a quick and not too involved idea for dinner. Pancakes are ok but I am trying to work more fresh veggies into our meals while they are available. Ah ha! Corn cakes! Add a little grilled chicken and I had a home run!
Hope your family enjoyed them as much as we did. I knew it was good when the pickiest of the bunch asked me to make them again before dinner was even over!

Now I know you could just take a knife and cut the kernels off the cob and there are many other contraptions out there that do the job. However, I have to tell you, Pampered Chef has the best gadget for this job, EVER!What! Pampered Chef again?! No, I am not getting anything for telling you about this gadget and I'm not selling Pampered Chef either. I'm just so happy with a couple of really neat kitchen tools that happened to come from Pampered Chef, they I had to tell you!

Corn Cakes
Kernels stripped from 2 ears of corn
3 Green onions, trimmed and chopped fine (green and white parts)
1/2c. Yellow corn meal
1c. Bisquick
1+ cup of milk
1 egg
3T. vegetable oil
salt, pepper, red pepper, onion powder
Optional:
1/4c. finely shredded Cheddar/Jack Cheese
1/4. crushed pineapple



Strip Kernels into a deep bowl. Mince onion and add to bowl. Toss together. Pour dry ingredients on top of corn, add milk, egg, oil and optional ingredients if using. Add seasonings. Use a sprinkle of red pepper for taste, more if you want heat. Stir together until combined. Add a little more milk if necessary. The batter should be fairly thick and lumpy, not smooth or thin like breakfast pancakes.



Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat until hot (a few drops of water should dance in the pan and quickly evaporate). Drop batter by Tablespoon into pan and cook until brown on one side then flip, and brown for another minute or two. Delicious!



I served these with grilled chicken (rubbed with Fajita seasoning) and topped with sour cream and salsa. Que Sabroso!

No comments:

Post a Comment