Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Bacon Sprinkles?! Cupcake with a twist




I decided to join a blog group called Taste and Create (tasteandcreate.com) where food bloggers gather and also trade recipes. The Owner of this blog came up with and ingenious riff on the recipe swap. You join her website by the 8th of the month and by the 11th, she pairs you up with another food blogger. Each of you has to create, taste and blog about the recipe you tried.

I anxiously waited for my pairing and was teamed up with Dish on Diva Desserts(www.dish-on-divadesserts.com). She made my best ever Chocolate Chip cookies and apparently she was quite happy with the results. Her pictures came out great and I suspect, like me, she has a new recipe in her repertoire! A quick search of her recipes left me with 2 choices, French Toast cupcakes or Mini Kaluah Cakes. Sure I wanted to make the Kaluah cakes but I wasn't going to eat it all alone. I also was thinking about the upcoming back to school breakfast for the teachers, so to the pantry I went.

HOLY MOLY!! I think I may have just made the best twist-on-a-cupcake, ever! Any recipe that includes bacon deserves a shot but then my children came up with ingenious suggestion of bacon as sprinkles. They were quick to point out that I had candied carrot peels so why not bacon as sprinkles? The recipe called for strips of bacon top but I always have bacon pieces handy so we were ready to start.

Here my friends is the recipe:

• 12 slices of bread any kind frosting
• 8 ounce(s) of Philly Cream Cheese

• 1 tsp. of cinnamon

• 1 tsp. of nutmeg

• 12 tbsp. of Maple Syrup pure

• 1/4 cup(s) of Pecans chopped

• 1 cup(s) of diced peaches

• 12 slices bacon cooked and cut into 1 inch strips

• 1/4 cup(s) of Maple Syrup for
• 1 Stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter for Frosting

• 4 cup(s) of Powdered Sugar for Frosting

• 8 eggs

• 8 ounce(s) of Philly Cream Cheese for Frosting
1. Tear or cut your 12 slices of bread into chunks and place in a large mixing bowl. You can use any kind of bread you have in the house. You can also use left over cake such as pound cake.

2. Crack 8 eggs into a large bowl and mix together.
3. Add 8 oz of Philly Cream cheese which has been softened in the micro for 30 sec. to the egg mixture and blend thoroughly.

4. Sprinkle 1 tsp. cinnamon & 1 tsp. nutmeg over the bread and then pour the egg and cream cheese mixture over the bread slices and stir to combine. Make sure the bread is saturated. Allow to sit and absorb 3-5 mins.

5. Stir in the 1 cup diced peaches & 1/4 cup pecans to the bread and egg mixture.

6. While the bread is soaking up the eggs place 12 foil jumbo sized muffin cups on a cookie sheet and pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.

7. Add 1 tbsp. of Maple Syrup to each muffin cup

8. Scoop the bread, egg, peach & pecan mixture into each muffin cup fill 3/4 full.

9. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 mins. Until the cupcakes are puffy and golden. They should spring back when touched.

10. Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes

11. While the cupcakes are baking you can cook your bacon and make the frosting.

12. Once the bacon is cooked drain on paper towels.

13. For the frosting combine 8oz of room temperature Philly Cream Cheese and 1 stick (1/2 cup) of unsalted butter in the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat on medium high till creamed and fluffy. About 3 minutes.

14. Add 1/4 cup of pure maple syrup to the butter and cream cheese and blend well.

15. Add 4 cups of powdered sugar one cup at a time to the mixture and blend.

16. Set the frosting in the fridge till ready to frost the cupcakes

17. After the cupcakes have cooled 5 to 10 min. slather them liberally with the maple cream cheese frosting and top with a piece of bacon.





Of course I already told you that I made a change by adding bacon bits as sprinkles. One other change that I made was that we did not use peaches or nuts (although I am sure it would have taken this confection to a whole other level of deliciousness!) because my children don't care for either item. We substituted cinnamon chips (1/2 of a 10 oz. bag) and it was divine!


All in all this is a fabulous recipe. Easy to follow, had all the ingredients in my pantry and didn't make a mess out of the whole kitchen. I would highly recommend this for a brunch or a lazy sunday morning. Hope that the teachers at Bailey Bridge Middle School like them as much as we did because they are definitely going to the teacher appreciation breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment