Friday, February 19, 2010

Snow Balls in Paradise


I'm really a tropical girl at heart so as I stood staring at MORE snow outside my kitchen window and the tropical screensaver warming my heart inside, I was conflicted! I live no where near the beach and who couldn't do with a great tropical rum concotion in the middle of winter? Necessity is the mother of invention as they say so, inspired by my friend at Cupcake Project, I raided the pantry and came up with Coconut Cupcakes with Rum Icing and Coconut. Eh, big deal, you might say. Big deal, I say! They were large, moist cupcakes with just the right amount of take-me-to-the-tropics to satisfy this beach girl and a dear friend who spends a lot of time in the South Pacific (talk about the tropics!) Enjoy!

Coconut Cupcake
1 1/4c. flour
1/2t. Baking Powder
1/4t. Baking Soda
Pinch of salt
2 eggs
1 stick unsalted Butter
3/4c. sugar
1/2 of a can of Cream of Coconut*
1t. vanilla

Heat the Oven to 350 degrees. Spray the top of your cupcake pan with a little non-stick spray so your lovely cupcakes don't lose their heads! Sift all the dry ingredients together and put aside. Cream the butter and the sugar on medium speed until smooth. Add the eggs one at a time beating for about 30 seconds between each one. Add the vanilla and the Cream of Coconut. Mix for a few more seconds until really incorporated and then gradually add the dry ingredients. Mix well but don't over do it or your cupcakes will be heavy and dense. Fill the cupcake wells (I always use cupcake papers) about 2/3 full and bake for 20-22 minutes. They really rise up and make a nice flat, crunchy top. In this case, it is definitely a good thing! Almost like a table for your icing and coconut!

Rum Icing
1/2 stick unsalted butter, softened
8 oz. cream cheese*
2-3T. Malibu Rum or any other coconut flavored rum
2-3c. Confectioner's sugar
Shredded sweetened coconut

Beat together the butter and the cream cheese. Gradually add 1-2 c. of sugar until you begin to have a soft icing. Add the rum and a little more sugar to stiffen it up. Taste the icing. Add more rum if you like. Add enough sugar to firm up your icing. Now put your shredded coconut in a bowl and fluff it up with a fork. Ice the cooled cupcakes and immediately dunk in the coconut, using the fork to coat the whole top so it looks like a snow ball. Enjoy 'em while you've got'em, they won't last long!


* I never know if I should put these notes at the top or the bottom because really, shouldn't everybody know that you should read all the way through first before you make something? But I never assume! OK, here's the note...When using Cream of Coconut, I mean the kind you use to make Pina Coladas. Read the can carefully as there is coconut water and coconut milk and they aren't the same thing! Also, if your can is cold or had previously been opened (hey I'm a tropical girl, remember?) the fat will separate from the liquid. Just place the whole can in a container of really hot water for a few minutes and it will go back together.

As for cream cheese, well not everyone is a fan. You could also use Neufchatel cheese or Marscapone cheese. Dare I say it, but in a pinch, a can of vanilla frosting will also do the trick. Just mix in a little rum and you'll be good to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment